Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Race Report

Can you believe I'm still talking about it

I promise this will be the last related post until I start ramping up my training for B-O-S-T-O-N! 

Here is the full report (AK, you asked for it!).  I wanted to recap it so I can live it over and over on days when I feel like a slug. 

Sam flew in with her gorgeous family on Thursday night, before the race.  We proceeded to have a beautiful family filled weekend.  I tried to keep it mellow, but it is hard to stay mellow when there is so much contagious energy filling up the house.  We had a blast. 

Saturday night, O made a killer pre-race pasta dinner.  We carbo loaded in a big way.

Sunday morning, up and at 'em.  Despite the temptation to do it up girly, I dressed in power black, because my motto for this race has been "its all business".  Enough was enough (a decade of failed attempts HAD to end!). 

After a quick bowl of grape nuts, BN drove us to the start.  I was nervous but confident.  I KNEW it was my day to get it done shine. I was so confident.  Butterflies in a good way.  We found our way to our assigned corral, and waited for that gun.  It was go time. 

In past failed attempts, I always have the same problem.  I get excited, I feel good early, and I go out way too fast.  This "strategy" does not work.  You cannot bank time.  You have to pace yourself.  Sam's big job was to hold me back and keep me on pace for the first 20.  It wasn't easy, I was eager to go just a touch faster than pace...but we held back and stayed true to the plan.

All was good until about mile 11...we both needed a potty pit stop.  TMI?  Whatever.  We hopped into the portapots, and kept running.  Only to encounter a TRAIN.  Yes, on the course...we had to stop and wait for a freakin train to go by.  Crazy, right??  Had we known the train was going to come, we would have postponed the pitstop...and trust me, that was ALL i could think about as I waited forever for a few seconds for the train to pass. 

Mile 12, our awesome families were there cheering in the drizzle.  Such a boost.  My kids lit up when they saw me, then they both started crying as I kept running.  Break my heart....I channeled it into motivation to get to the finish line ASAP!

By mile 13 (half way) we were right back on pace (even a bit ahead). 

Mile 17 - the dreaded St. John's bridge (aka the HB).   Up and over, no problem.  I knew I had it. 

Mile 20 - friends friends friends!  JLo and LC jump in.  JLo captured some action shots while keeping pace and feeding me a banana (merci merci!).  LC talked and talked, had me laughing, nearly crying, had tunes lined up which she blared on her iPhone...what a buddy....MERCI.  All the while, KF was cruising in and out of the scene on her bike, shouting encouragement.  It was so awesome. 

My family popped up again somewhere after mile 20 - all smiles this time.  So fun to see!  "Go mama go!"

Soon after, my good friend HVK captured this video, love her. 



And not long after that I ran by a good friend, RT, out in the rain with her man and little girls.  She was jumping up and down and full of spunk.  Merci merci! 

LC still by our side, Sam and I knew we had it!  we just had to get it done.  And get it done we did!   

Bobby, Mimi, O, the Vixens and our sweet caped babies were all at the finish line to celebrate!!  Merci! 

Putting yourself out there is good to do (about once a decade).    See you in BOSTON!

1 comment:

Amy Beth Kloner said...

Ahhh! I need to check in DAILY-- you are too quick!! Love the race report. And no detail is TMI! ;)
Love your attitude and "get'r done" mentality in attacking this race. GREAT JOB... now is a triathlon in your future? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...