Monday, March 30, 2009

A Hooker I Love

Today's AT Post about LLBean hooked rugs got me thinking a few things.

First off, these LLBean hooked rugs are sweet (yes Mimi, LLBean, i know...i know...).

Much more importantly, the post got me thinking about one of my most favorite people. Patty Yoder.

This woman liked to call herself a "hooker", for hooking rugs was her life's passion. Each of her rugs is an amazing work of art (a completely different league than LLBean rugs....it feels weird to even have all of this in one post).
I feel so lucky to have had Patty in my life. Her own life was cut way too short, but she certainly lives on in her rugs and in my heart.


On our last visit with Patty, O and I were very interested in the hooking process. Patty sat down and gave us a lesson. Here is O working with Patty on one of her rugs.

O and I each got to work on this piece, titled "Emma", a little bit that day. Emma turned out beautifully, didn't she?

Aside from a few of you, most of my Sunshine friends didn't get to know Patty. However, that doesn't mean you can't get to know her work. According to the Shelburne Museum website, Patty's work will be on display May 17 - October 25. If you are anywhere near Vermont, you should definitely make time to check this out, it will not disappoint. And maybe you'll see Emma...if so, be sure to tell her hello from us.

The exhibit is called Patty Yoder: Rugs of the Black House Farm.

Ah, the Black House Farm. O and I have spent several nights at the Black House Farm, where Patty lived. Here is a picture that Patty took of us in front of the house, SW - we were on our way to your wedding.


And here are a few shots of the property. It is such a special place!

Patty also has a book...I have a copy and the next time you are at my place you should check it out.

Patty, are there blogs up there in heaven? I bet there are, so please reply to this post with a comment. Thanks! xoxo

2 comments:

Ms. Mayhem said...

What a great post. The rugs are amazing, and clearly Patty touched your life in a special way. I love the landscape pics...I think I could make myself comfortable and your dress, adorable. Like I said, I love everything about this post!

chelsea said...

Oh what a special lady! And I love her house. IT looks like a magical place.. I heart Vermont!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...