Thursday, July 17, 2008

Operation Nice

I love this blog, don't you?! The concept is right on, "we all need a little NICE". I wish I would have thought of it. Its so much more than a blog, it's a movement...

***

Let's all join operation nice...it's easy, just be nice. As noted on the site, here are some tips (from wikipedia) for how to be nice:

  • Smile


  • Say hello


  • Ask people how they are doing


  • Be a good listener


  • Be courteous


  • Be positive


  • Be humble


  • Offer to help


  • Be sincere
That list seems obvious and easy enough. We could probably all commit to give it a try.

Portlanders are very nice, that is one big reason we love it.

When we lived in Boston I had a vision of starting something similar to this operation. I wanted to start a movement on the esplanade to get runners/walkers / etc. to smile at each other...and maybe even say hello. I always thought it was so weird to go for a run, pass so many people (so closely) and not even manage to get eye contact - let alone a smile or a hello. I bounced the idea off of a few people (locals) and I got such funny (negative) reactions. I was not encouraged...however I still wish I would have pursued it. I think that if we had stayed much longer I would have had to...it was going to drive me nuts. I figured if we started on the esplanade it may spread into the rest of the city, state, region....




Please don't get me wrong, I do LOVE Boston...I just think the city could use a little more nice-ness. If you are living in Boston...I encourage you to give this idea a go...the need is certainly there. Hey, give it a try no matter where you live...regardless of where we live, even Portland, I bet we could all be a little nicer...

***I took this picture from the Operation Nice site...it is by Anthony Burrill

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for saying such sweet things about my new blog! Philadelphia could definitely use some help in the "nice" department too. I'm always stunned when I see lack of consideration. It's not like it's difficult to smile or say "thank you," or whatever. And I know how great I feel when someone shows me a bit of courtesy. I think maybe people just need a little encouragement spread some niceness!

Amy Beth Kloner said...

Funny. I've often thought about this while running. It just seems like you SHOULD smile or at least acknowledge the dude crossing your path, suffering just the same. Why not? BUT I've recently had a change of heart. There are too many weirdos out there. Yes, I'm turning into my Grandma perhaps, but I just don't trust people's intentions. Too many freaks. They're not getting an invite from me.

Now I just smile at WOMEN!

Hmm, maybe that's why I'm still single???!!

Mary said...

What a lovely idea! An update from Beantown: I had two people let me go ahead of them in traffic today, I saw the car ahead of me give a handful of granola bars to a homeless man, and the woman at the post office smiled and told me to have a nice weekend! There's hope for this city yet. I'll keep doing my part. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...