Friday, July 19, 2013

Funny Confession #224

Herring is a big deal here.  Like hot dog stands in NYC, there are stalls on every corner selling fish.  This time of year, it is all about herring.

photo

The following is a list of reasons I have used in my head to avoid trying raw herring:
  • This stall is so close to my house, its almost too convenient...I should research it before I try it because what are the chances its a good one?  
  • This stall is too far from home, I am not familiar with this area, how do I know if it is good?
  • I'm too hungry, I need more to eat
  • I'm not hungry enough, I'd have to be starving to try it
  • I need to google it one more time to make sure I know how to eat it
  • I have big plans later, I better not try it today in case it makes me sick
  • I should wait and do it with O
  • I don't want to waste time with O eating yucky raw fish
  • I can't do it with the kids
  • I shouldn't do it without the kids
  • I don't have time today
  • I have so much time, I should go to a real restaurant
  • It seems expensive for a snack
  • I feel like it should cost more, its fresh raw fish...it should be really expensive...
  • As soon as I speak Dutch like a native, I'll step up and order like a local
  • Maybe this is just for tourists, I'm not a tourist...
Yesterday I finally stopped with the excuses and went for it.  I'm glad I did it.  I ate 3 whole fish.  It went down easy.  I liked it.  My only issue...I have been clearing my throat and coughing ever since the experience.  It feels like I have a tiny fish bone caught in my throat.  I am not confident that the bone is real...I think it may be in my head.  Real or not, I can't seem to clear it out...

















4 comments:

hvk said...

are those cure little flags supposed to make it look more appealing?!

Birdie said...

If so, it's not working for me, and I am an adventuresome eater!

Christina said...

The pickles look good.

Ms. Mayhem said...

you are very brave

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...