Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bretzelsonneg

My good friend mamaboo sent me this link. It was so fun to read up on Bretzelsonneg, which is also known as Pretzel Sunday. Bretzelsonneg is a Luxembourgish holiday...On this day boys give the girl they like a pastry shaped as a pretzel. The larger the pretzel the more the boy likes the girl. If the girl feels the same way she will give the boy a decorated egg on Easter Sunday. On leap years the roles are reversed. This practice is celebrated by singles and married couples.

I hope all the ladies out there get a big Pretzel on March 14th (Bretzelsonneg is the 4th sunday of lent).

The best part about the link that mamaboo sent me, was that from there I found this link - which takes you to a very sweet blog (Sycamore Stirrings) maintained by a mama living in Lux.

When we lived there back in the 80's, I remember my mom keeping a journal...journals are the blogs of the 80s. Birdie also wrote a book with some friends "Living in Luxembourg"...I need to get an original copy of that book. A quick google shows me that the book is now in its 15th edition...cool to see it has lived on.

2 comments:

Melissa N said...

Yeah! I am glad I pass it along to you!

katy said...

Thanks for the shout out! Was it your mom who started the Living in Lux book? That is a LIFE saver! They are currently working on the next addition. No joke.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...