Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lucky?

For some reason "luck" is a subject that I have mixed feelings about. I am not sure I believe in it. I feel so fortunate and blessed about so many things in my life. But I am not sure I feel "lucky". In fact, I am slightly offended when people use that word.

There is a quote that says something like "the harder I work, the luckier I get". Based on a quick google, it looks like I should credit Samuel Goldwyn with that insight. Samuel was a film producer that I know nothing about.

In our family (on the F side) Jean Claude Killy is a big deal. O's dad once told me that JCK used that quote (or some version of it) during an interview after getting a bunch of Olympic medals. Good for him. No doubt Olympians have little "luck" relative to the hard work they put in.

I feel strongly that the luck-to-work ratio for most successful people (even those who don't make the Olympics), or just for most successes in life (big or small), is heavily weighted on the work side, not the luck side.

It is not complimentary to refer to someone as "lucky". I am hard pressed to think of anyone that I know who is lucky.

Of course sometimes things just go your way...and sometimes those things are out of your control...and in those cases (e.g., the weather cooperates with your plans, you win the lottery, etc. etc.) I guess there is a bit of luck involved. And when those things happen, it sure feels good.

But I think the concept/term of "luck" is overused, I think that most times when I hear it used it is not applicable to the situation. So, think twice before you use it...and give yourself and others credit where its due. People are not *lucky* to have the job they have, the house they have, the partner they have, the kid they have, the relationships they value, the cars they drive, the education they have, etc. etc. - you worked hard for those things.

There are things in life that position some of us differently than others (college funds, strong families, etc.)...and so the playing field is rarely even...but I think that hard work and all of the other good things (dedication, commitment, energy, goal setting, team work, patience, etc. etc.) are the things that help to make our "luck" what it is.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh S, you are so wise! I've found myself frustrated with people who claim that luck was to credit for things that I worked very hard to achieve.

I think this happens because people are often afraid to go for what really matters to them for fear that they will fall short of reaching their goal. so, if they accept "luck" as a reason for others to get what they want, they no longer have to look that fear in the eye and take responsibility for their own happiness.

Pardon me for being crass.. F*CK Luck. Dream big, work hard. Make your life what you want it to be.

Love to you S, for keeping us entertained and inspired with your thoughts and muses. Keep up the good work.

xo, rg

Mary said...

I enthusiastically agree! I must admit, though, that I have to remind myself of this all the time. I sometimes fall into a trap of comparing myself to others and thinking they have it easier for whatever reason, or just being jealous of some talent or quality they possess. I have to continue to remind myself to focus on everything I have and not compare with anyone else. Luck is definitely what we make it.

Ms. Mayhem said...

I don't think I believe in luck or as Oprah has said "luck is about being prepared for when opportunities present themselves"

Anonymous said...

While I agree that hard work makes all the difference in life, I think it's important to remember that much of our day to day existence depends on a type of "luck", or chance. . .

When faced with adversity we can better our odds by working hard, but many times in life decisions and consequences are out of our hands. A cell divides too many times, or not enough; a gene gets passed down; the medicine does or doesn't work; someone loses control of their car in front of you on the highway. . . Any of these situations could result in major changes to your life - your relationships, your career, financial situation, family, etc. Those of us who are successful, healthy and happy owe much to the odds being in our favor.

I think it's important to remember that we are lucky to have each day, and that, frustrating as it may be, much of life is out of our control. Thank goodness we can work hard to make sure the parts that ARE in our control go well.

xo, KAK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...