Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Storks

I don't intend to find out for myself (2 is the new done), but Midwives are the mainstream way to have babies in Amsterdam.  In fact, its normal to deliver those babies at home.  Here, people believe hosptials are places to go when you are sick...and being pregnant is not being sick, so why would you go to the hospital.  My c-section scars may disagree, but this it not about me.   I think this birth at home thing is a beautiful thing and I have heard amazing stories from friends (here and in PDX) about how it all goes down (pun not intended).  Clearly birth in a hospital is also a beautiful thing (I mean, have you seen my gorgeous babies, or these FOUR?).

OK, baby delivery talk is interesting and all, but this post is getting off track.  I just wanted to put all that in there to set up how much I love seeing storks on buildings - which is a sign for a midwife practice.  This one, around the corner, has been there since the 17th century!


This one, around another corner from home, is clearly newer, but just as adorbs.

One more thing about storks.  When babies are born, people go all out decorating their windows for people to know that they had a baby.  Usually banners and such.  But often there is also this thing that they affix to the window that looks like the back end of a stork, as if the stork had crashed through the window.  I can't find a photo online, but the next time I see one I'll snap a pic.  They always make me smile.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...