Sunday, March 22, 2009

Welcome Spring-- guest blog alert!

Hello Portland Sunshine fans, it's me-- RG! I'm a loyal "Sunshine" follower, Portland bud, and one of WKF's many admirers.

I was thrilled when S asked me to contribute to the blog this weekend in honor of the first Portland Farmer's Market (PFM)of the '09 season. This was an earlier opening than year's past, which was great because the PFM crew planned the big day to coincide with the spring equinox- YAY SPRING, YAY PFM! I wasn't sure how many vendors would show, or how much those that did would have to offer, plus, there was an excellent chance of mud and rain and general nastiness on the weather front. All that in consideration, we rallied to celebrate-- the market, the changing seasons, and the bounty of love, family and friendship.

Ok, so I love love love the market. I started visiting 6 seasons ago when I first moved to Portland and it's been on my Saturday summer circuit ever since. I bring out-of-towners there, I have coffee meetings there, I buy my fruits/veggies/fish/cheese/flowers/meat there, I people watch there, I have impromptu chats (or deep and meaningful discussions) with friends there, I eat biscuits and wheatberry salad there, and sometimes, I even have dates there- oooh la la!

I love to see the market grow each year, and the community become stronger for it. It's a foodie's paradise, but more than that, its a cultural transcript of our adored city. People from all quadrants of the Rose City, and many walks of life find pleasure in the simple concept of bringing farm to table. Kids gain exposure to the origins of their food, parents find ways to make veggies fun, and people everywhere are happy eating really yummy food in a lovely park setting with a live bluegrass soundtrack on a Saturday morning.

Let's give you some visuals..
This was our meeting place. The staffers ring a bell promptly at 830 each week to signal the opening of the market. This is typically met with applause and cheer, but being the first market of the season, it was especially rowdy and I LOVED it.

A sampling of what was offered on opening day. Can you believe those flowers already? S-- the color explosion made me think of you!

Happy girls and their bounty. There was lots of discussion about recipes and ingredients and new ways to enjoy this or that. I'm not one to follow a recipe, but I love all the ideas and hot tips my friends have to offer.


Our Sunshine family! Another bonus about the market is that you get to run into FAB friends while doing laps in the park!


So, that's all folks.. Thanks for reading my guest blog. The PFM is open every Saturday through December from 830-2 and there are smaller markets throughout the city during the summer months. To learn more, visit portlandfarmersmarket.org.

I hope to see you at the market! rg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT JOB, GUEST BLOGGER> WISH WE COULD HAVE BEEN IN PORTLAND TO PARTAKE OF THIS RITE OF SPRING!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...