Thursday, June 30, 2011

Balance

Ironically, I have been so busy I don't think I ever checked back in with you about balance.  I went back to work between babies, and back to work again after sweetP.  I can honestly say that 90% of the time I have felt super confident about my decision to work (part time).  I really love working.  That old balance post (link above) was pretty optimistic, and lots of people gave me a hard time and thought I was naive...lots of "just wait, you'll see" kind of conversations.  But honestly, I think its doable.  Not easy, but possible. I work for an amazing company, have awesome daycare, and have a ridiculously hot and supportive hubby - all 3 are key to pulling it off.

The other 10% of the time, I have some doubts, which is usually when the kids get sick or I am feeling behind in life (bills to pay, people to call, emails to send, runs to run, teeth to brush...).  Well this week is part of that 10%.  2 sick babes and the balance feels a bit outta whack.

Work can wait, my babes need me.

Oh, and I want my mommy. 

How's your balance working out my friends? 

2 comments:

Mary said...

Love this! I'm so happy you've found great balance for you and your family. I'm still working on it and haven't quite found it yet. There have been times when I felt good about it, but this is not one of those times. Definitely a time of reflection and decisions that need to be made, especially before next year when Aaron starts school. Wish me luck.

Leah said...

Oh, the topic of Balance is one of my favorite Mama Obsessions! I chose not to go back to work after having babes, and although overall, I don't regret my decision, my life has lacked balance in a different way... Sometimes, all Mama, all the time is not necessarily a good thing!

I have recently chosen to go back to work part time, doing sales for a friend's new company. In the long run, I think it will work out well--I will have control over my schedule, I will work when I want/can, and I will be there for the kids when they need me. As they get older and spend more time at school, I envision working up to 30 hours a week, perhaps a bit of travel each quarter but I don't anticipate going back full time for many, many years, if ever.

I have several friends who work full time, some by choice, some not. Most of them feel pulled in too many directions to say that they are doing anything as well as they'd like. Several of them feel that they are scheduled within an inch of their lives, and feel frazzled more often than not. Some of them have husbands with very flexible careers, which seems to make things easier for everyone. My husband unfortunately has a very demanding, inflexible role which may or may not change in the future. As much as I have longed for more balance in my life, I think it's very hard to work full time and run a household effectively without hiring lots of help to get there. It seems like I'd be adding stress to my family for my benefit only and I'm not so sure I want to go there if a 2nd paycheck is not necessary.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...